Wednesday, September 12, 2007

OUTRAGE AND FRESH UNDERSTANDING...



In 1994 the American and Mexican governments came to the North American Free Trade Agreement (or NAFTA).

The agreement was the hope for Mexican people of freedom from the poverty that gripped much of the nation. The hope was that as a fair trade agreement came into effect, Mexican farmers and producers would now be able to trade with American distributors - thus bringing greater wealth to the impoverished Mexican, and providing new produce to the US. The effect was very different. As with every other 'lesser-nation' in the world, the US used the opportunity to increase subsidies to local American farmers, thus allowing them to sell their produce at prices Mexican producers could never compete with. Over one million Mexicans were cast into poverty, and families who had farmed there for generations had to leave their blocks and pursue low-paid jobs in the cities - thus providing cheap labour for American manufacturers who now had freedom to work from within Mexico.


As a long-time fan of Rage Against the Machine I always admired their passion, but felt that sometimes their means were a little barbaric. Zach de la Rocha often talks of the Zapatistas; a revolutionary Mexican army who often demonstrate with great violence and intimidation. Now, heading to Mexico in just over a week, the message of the Zapatista's means something more to me. As I read the key demands of the liberation front I am astounded,


"The Zapatistas' demands are simple, but provide a powerful critique of the distribution of wealth and power in Mexico; work, land, housing, food, health care, education, independence, freedom, democracy, justice and peace."


It's funny how much these words resonate with the truth, hope, justice and righteousness mentioned in Ephesians 6, or how about the call to offer shelter, feed the hungry, heal the sick and clothe the naked in Matthew 25? Do I agree with the actions of the Zapatistas'? No, definitely not. But do I believe it is a suitable reaction to the more subtle form of conquest and genocide the US administration has carried out through NAFTA? Yes, completely.


I never understood it much when people claimed that if someone had too much of something, someone else must go without. Now I understand. The Mexican people have in no way chosen their lot. If the American administration is aware of the task they are executing, then this can only be considered most cleverly constructed conquest in history. From Mexico to Haiti, and Sierra Leone to Iraq, The US is taking poorer nations, not by brute force, but by the subtle weight that gradually pushes each nation and it's occupants to their knees.


I cannot describe the outrage that I've felt tonight as this all begins to lock into place for me.


I wonder how for so long we in the Western world have allowed this to continue. Perhaps because even as I write this, the warmth of American clothing comforts me while the hum of capitalist-driven news television lullabies me to sleep in the background. My heart is paralysed with indecision and an overwhelming feeling that there is nothing we can possibly do but pray that Jesus will work a miracle in Mexico. That, and feed the hungry, clothe the naked and welcome in the stranger - all of which I can't wait to do when we touch down in Tijuana on the 22nd.

No comments: