Wednesday, September 26, 2007

ENTRY 2: MEXICO


There was a full moon over Mexico tonight. We were singing songs of praise in the late evening to a group of ex-addicts at a rehabilitation compound near the centre of the Tijuana slums. What an incredible experience. The Mexican people are the warmest I’ve met. Between our very basic knowledge of each others languages I managed to have a few chats with some of the addicts. I met a 75 year old woman who, having her latrine fall apart, took it upon herself to dig her own long-drop ten feet down into the hard-baked Mexican clay. Incredible.

Any fears I had about being able to handle the intensive building project we’re working on have been quickly relieved. It turns out I share my father’s nouse for all things hands-on. This week we have been building two houses, and a classroom at the local school. I’ve spent most of my time working on the yellow house (as opposed to the blue house). It’s directly next door to the home the chosen family currently occupy; quite a surreal visual to take in. Their old life and their new life separated by less than a metre. On one side a ramshackled monstrosity of spare parts and corrugated iron, on the other a sunflower yellow villa. Quite often Orlando, the father of the family, comes over to visit and check out our handy work. He seems often on the verge of tears. In a strange way this is really what spurs me on.

I can honestly say I have never worked as solidly or as constantly as I have the last two days. Not because I feel pressured or guilty, but because this is so blatantly something that Jesus cares so much about. There is that verse which says ‘The Joy of the Lord is my strength’. I have really come to know what this means. Despite being absolutely physically exhausted, I feel a joy and a passion that overcomes my sore legs and aching shoulders.

In other news, yesterday I met a new friend in the form of an enormous Tarantula spider hiding under a pile of lumber at the construction site. Very impressive. I never thought I’d see one of these puppies in the wild. Before you all think I’m incredibly brave I would like to point out those are not my hands holding him.

Finally, God has totally hooked us up for our second week in Mexico. The main crew leave this Saturday while James, Mason and myself hang on to do further work. An American house-building team are short three members on their team for this weekend. Also, a woman has recently lost the roof of her house in freak winds so there’s good chances we’ll work on this for a few days as well. Add to this the fact that our accommodation next week will likely be provided by the home of a family right in the heart of the Tijuana slums. Amazing. I’ll keep you posted as this all comes together.

To finish, another verse I’ve been pondering on:

Matthew 10:39

“If you try to save your life, you will lose it. But if you give it up for me (Jesus), you will surely find it.”

I think I’m finding a little more of that ‘life’ over here.

7 comments:

Becs said...

Cool Scottie. Keep on blogging. The goatshed is quiet without you two!

MonkeyDude said...

Dude, can you sort out your font! Impossible to read your entries!

Debs said...

Absoluetly awesome Scottie.

Anonymous said...

Scottie .... very inspirin & thoughtful. Makes me think bout my own contribution. Awesme that yr lovin it & that God has His hand fully on the whole experience. Rxx

Anonymous said...

Impressive dude...llook slike your making the most of your time in mexico...say high to Bob for me, that man is Jesus in clothing

Anonymous said...

I love watching you discover God more and more through your experiences over there bro, and I kinda feel like I'm experiencing it in a little way here through you too. Keep the thoughts coming mate. I read and am encouraged and challenged by every one.

Will have a milo for you tonight...

Tim said...

What ARE you doing?! Yes the Goatshed is quiet at the moment - Jamma must be out spading. Just finished reading Melza's post - you guys have tallent! Awesome photos. Makes me want to be there! Hi-5 to Mase, James and you. Ride the Ligtening! Tim